Service at Chester Catherdal during the GA 2005
RESOLUTIONS PASSED AT THE 2005 ANNUAL MEETINGS OF THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF UNITARIAN AND FREE CHRISTIAN CHURCHES
The following resolutions were passed at the GA Annual Meetings 2005. Resolution 1, being in respect of a constitutional change, achieved a majority in excess of the required two-thirds.
1. FROM THE GA COUNCIL
That this General Assembly of Unitarian and Free Christian Churches resolves to amend its Constitution as follows:
i) Concerning the establishment of an elected Executive Committee:
Add new rules 6 and 7 and renumber succeeding Rules accordingly.
6 Executive Committee The Executive Committee shall comprise eight persons elected by a postal ballot and an Honorary Treasurer. The Honorary Treasurer will be a voting member of the Executive Committee. The Executive Committee elections will be held every three years and members shall serve a maximum of two successive elections, taking office at the start of the Annual Meetings following election.
7 Elections An Electoral Panel will be responsible for conducting the election of the Executive Committee and will be accountable to the Annual Meetings on the basis that:
a. Each member congregation or Fellowship will receive as many electoral votes as members paid for by the end of the financial year preceding election.
b. A list shall be established nationally of electors who are not included in category a. who
i. are Full Members of the Assembly or
ii. individually pay the required membership contribution directly to the Assembly by the end of the financial year preceding election.
c. No elector shall vote more than once and the Electoral Panel shall be responsible for devising rules to prevent double voting by any elector. Elections shall be based on a method to be established by the Electoral Panel.
ii) Concerning the removal of the Office of Honorary Deputy Treasurer:
That this General Assembly of Unitarian and Free Christian Churches resolves to remove the Office of Deputy Treasurer and therefore to alter its Constitution as follows:
Amend the clause 6 of the Constitution dated 19 April 2001(Honorary Officers) as follows:
On line two add the word "and" in front of the words "a Treasurer" and delete the words "and a Deputy Treasurer". On line five remove the words "and Deputy Treasurer" that appear after the words "The Office of Treasurer".
2. FROM THE UNITARIAN WOMEN'S GROUP
That this General Assembly of Unitarian and Free Christian Churches, mindful of our traditional emphasis on the inherent worth and dignity of each individual, sponsors and supports the Make Poverty History campaign - calling for urgent and mindful policy change on three inextricably linked areas: trade, debt and aid - encourages all congregations, districts, fellowships, affiliated societies and individuals to:
a) make known their voices through letters, emails, fundraising campaigns, education and action at local level.
b) show their solidarity by wearing the white band - the campaign symbol - to help MAKE POVERTY HISTORY.
3. FROM THE YORKSHIRE UNITARIAN UNION
That this General Assembly of Unitarian and Free Christian Churches congratulates Sir Tim Berners-Lee on his award as the Greatest Briton 2004.
4. FROM DUNHAM ROAD CHAPEL, ALTRINCHAM
That this General Assembly of Unitarian and Free Christian Churches recognising that some congregations are threatened by closure or are in serious difficulty due to financial hardship, urges those congregations and District Associations whose finances are in surplus to investigate ways of supporting those who are in difficulty by means of substantial donations to the Sustentation Fund or by other means of financial redistribution.
1. That the Reverend Brian Cockroft be appointed President of the General Assembly of Unitarian and Free Christian Churches for the year 2005-2006.
2. That this seventy-fifth General Assembly of Unitarian and Free Christian Churches expresses its gratitude for the services provided by Dawn Buckle as President during the year 2004-2005.
3. That David Dawson be appointed as Vice-President for the year 2005-2006.
4. That the thanks of the Assembly be given to Michael J Tomlin for his services as Honorary Treasurer, to district association and local treasurers and collectors for their help.
5. That Martin G West be appointed Honorary Treasurer for the year 2005-2006.
6. That Messrs Edmund Gibbs & Co be reappointed as Auditors.
7. That the Report of the General Assembly Council and the Accounts of the General Assembly be received and adopted.
8. That greetings be sent to kindred churches and societies abroad.
9. That the thanks of the Assembly be given to the Reverend J Eric Jones for preaching the Assembly Sermon.
10. That the thanks of the Assembly be given to Alan Myerscough, organist for the Anniversary Service, and to local Unitarians who arranged other music for the Meetings.
11. That the thanks of the Assembly be given to all the local Unitarians, especially from the sponsoring body, the Midland Union of Unitarian and Free Christian Churches for their inestimable help in organising the Meetings.